Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Rise and Shine!


Got up bright and early this morning, becuase the sun is up at 5:30 a.m. Yes, that's right. I made futile attempts to sleep longer and gave up at 6:30 a.m. As I started down to Stari Grad, I ran into my landlord (host?) and he gave me a ride, saving me one walk today.

So the picture at the top is the goodies I bought at the market: figs (yum), candied orange peel (yum), and homemade brandy (yum). I've had two small glasses of the brandy so far and have not died or gone blind, which is a good sign....!

Okay, so the beer here. Thankfully it is "pivo" in Croatian so asking for it is like second nature to me! Here's a piccie of my lunch of burek and a beer. The beer is very similar to light Czech or Polish beers, and tasty enough that I've had some every day.



I spent a lot of the day at the beach and am now a nice shade of pink. Pink is apparently very attractive to the men here, as I have been hit on by two natives and one Romanian! (And let me tell you, Romanians look odd - they stuck out like a sore thumb....)

I spent a lovely hour at another concert tonight, two guitarists this time. Surprisingly, there were only 5 people present - all Americans! Which was too bad for the musicians, but lovely for us - it was like a private concert and really amazing.

4 comments:

CrustyBill said...

1st post!

Wow, the market stuff looks cool. Only stuff you could probably find in a place like that.

And hey... Burek! That's similar to what we had in Berlin! Delicious.... so hungry now!

Are there concerts every night in the same place?

polkagrl said...

The concerts seem to be in varying places - it may be the same place a couple nights, and other places as well.

Denver Karla said...

Hey, I'm Romanian! But I'd probably hit on you too if I saw your lovely pink skin.

polkagrl said...

Denver Karla, you are not Romanian, are you? You don't dress like an undertaker....!