Thursday, May 10, 2007

General Stuff

There are quite a few Americans here. Not tons, but I´ve heard American accents quite a bit, more than I expected. There were about 8 too many on the ferry today - a group of very loud 50-something Texan women were doing a great job at reinforcing the Ugly American image.

There seems to be a few nationalities that are present in larger numbers: Italians, Germans and Brits. In Hvar, there were a lot of Australians; not sure why that is.

Most people here seem to speak English at least a little. My landlady in Hvar probably spoke the least English, but she spoke German so that was cool. The guy at the delicatessen this morning (where I bought wayyy too much food!) mixed German and Enlgish, which worked.

Croatia is not incredibly cheap - it´s definitely not as pricey as London, and some things are inexpensive - some rooms, all beer, baked goods. Other things can be expensive - some rooms, wine, restaurants.

It is, however, incredibly beautiful, and I wish I could have seen much more. I guess I´ll just have to come back. :-)

4 comments:

Marcia said...

Can't wait to see more pics.

I wonder why Margie, Bill and I are the only ones who have posted? We must love you the most...

:-)

CrustyBill said...

Yea.... Can't wait to see the pics! Sounds like a cool place to see.

Hopefully next time you won't be stuck in the middle of a 5 seat row (blech!)

Margie Br said...

I forgot to send myself your blog link to work so I did not check it so frequently... Than I forgot the password, so now I am a newly registered user again. I regret after reading these stories... It looks like you have eaten all the olives and cheese available in that region. Our Polish "pivo" (Piwo) is better than Croatian.. Don't get confused about that.. Eric tells me that he had an octopus salad in Oak Park with Grandpa. Can you believe this?

CrustyBill said...

Polish beer is the best!

....and the food of course!