Monday, May 7, 2007

Love at first sight!





This has been a long day - I got up at 7 am to get stuff done in Split before I left, then got on the bus to Dubrovnik at 10:30 am. What a bus ride! I lost track of how many times I said, "Holy f@cking shit!" either because of the view, the drop off the side, or both! Our rest stop was in Bosnia - how cool is that? I had someone take my picture in front of the bus, but it's highly unflattering and not going here.

My landlord du jure met me at the bus station and drove me to the house. It is very very nice, I only wish I were spending more time there - a shared kitchen, a nice terrace off my room. He was very informative about how to get to the Old Town and where to eat, and anything else I needed.

After settling in I went to the Old Town (Stari Grad) and THAT is when I fell in love. This is truly a wonderful place! I walked around, then walked the city walls and took a bazillion pictures. Here's one:




Oh what the heck, here's another:



Then I had an awesome dinner of mussels, bread, and wine. The mussels were fantastic - see for yourself:



After dinner, I went to a classical concert by a quartet in a church. It was a condlelight concert and absolutely beautiful. They played a variety of music, and one piece was so sad and beautiful I was moved to tears. What a lovely end to the day: gorgeous music in a gorgeous setting.

Off to bed now (well after a 20 minute walk!) so I can lavish my love on the city tomorrow!

4 comments:

Marcia said...

It looks very beautiful. And the mussels look very yummy! Ug, I'm hungry now!
Glad you're having a good time!

CrustyBill said...

Very cool! Looks like a great place, sounds like the places to stay are great too.

I'm sure if I didn't wanna yark at thought of eating mussels, those would look delicious! ;)

But more importantly... how is the BEER there???

Margie Br said...

This is really beautiful.. Who took your picture? Mr. Speedo?

polkagrl said...

No, Mr. Speedo did not take my picture! A fellow solo traveller and I took each other's pictures.